June 23 to 25, 2021 with a pre-conference day on June 22
Registration is OPEN! Please join us for the virtual 2021 OPEN Academy, Connecting for Collective Action to Advance Equity and Systems Change. This Oral Health Progress and Equity Network (OPEN) event will provide a wide range of opportunities to build the collective capacity of social change agents, advance oral health for all, and deepen an understanding of the impact of structural racism on all people. Participants will also have opportunities to identify roles they can play in OPEN’s new collective action goals.
Here are some of the exciting opportunities at the 2021 OPEN Academy:
- Nationally renowned keynote speakers explore the history and impact of racism on each of us; demonstrate the intersection between racism and the political landscape; and discuss how individuals sometimes support policies to the detriment of their own health and well-being. We will have the honor of hearing from author and advocate Heather McGhee, who recently published The Sum of Us: What Racism Costs Everyone and How We Can Prosper Together, and Jonathan Metzl, professor and author of Dying of Whiteness: How the Politics of Racial Resentment is Killing America’s Heartland (invited).
- All participants will have the choice to receive a free e-book edition of either of the above books.
- There will be numerous opportunities to connect and collaborate with leaders, advocates, clinicians, and others working in communities, states, and nationally to advance equitable oral health.
- We will spend time spent crafting specific action steps we will take as a Network to achieve oral health systems change goals through 2025.
- And many more unique and exciting sessions are currently in design!